THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

for the time being i will keep my old posts here at blogger, but i have imported all content to wordpress. please don't abandon me! to stay updated, head on over to my new space and follow me there. thanks!

—lisa g.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

knit blazer LOVEFEST

it's a knit blazer people!!! and it's kind of awesome. no. not kind of awesome. SUPER awesome.



i finished off butterick 4610 a couple days ago, adding my trim and buttons to finish it off. everything about this went smoothly, and i really have to credit sherry over at pattern-scissors-cloth and her RTW tailoring sew-a-long posts. that woman has such a wealth of knowledge over on her blog that it's almost criminal she gives it away for free. i hope she puts out a book someday, i would buy it in a heartbeat! so needless to say, i chucked butterick's instructions aside, followed her lead and it really paid off. she has tons of RTW finishing techniques that give my blazer a real polish. now, i have a blazer that i am more than proud of and happens to be highly functional for my everyday life.



this is a really nice pattern, but i had to alter some bits to get the fit i was looking for. i outlined it all over on my last post so i won't bore you with it here, though i think i forgot the part where i added 1.25" to the sleeve length. i have monkey arms.



i am seriously dying over this blazer.



i think making this was a good training session to get me in gear for my winter coat project. you would think that sewing a blazer would make me crash and burn and not want to touch a similar project for months. but in actuality it has me even more excited! initially i planned to hand tailor my coat with the hair canvas and the pad stitching and such, but i had such amazing results with the RTW tailoring (using fusibles) that i just don't feel the need to take that kind of time anymore.



the thought of hand tailoring doesn't intimidate me anymore (and i'm sure i'll do it someday) but for my time i'll go the RTW route and i don't think i'll regret it. so unless i have a dilly of a time with fitting, the whole coat shouldn't take more than a week. and once again, if anyone is interested in following my coat making, i'll be posting often as the coat progresses, showing you the steps and pointing you toward online information and sharing what little knowledge i have on the topic. we can all hold hands and make coats together!

—lisa g.

26 comments:

  1. Lisa!!! It is AMAZING!!! Seriously, this is one of the best hand-made projects I've seen ever, anywhere! And you look absolutely darling in it! I'm raising my (imaginary) martini glass to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, thanks gail! many happy dances were danced upon it's completion. :) can't wait for cooler temps, fall is my favorite!

      Delete
  2. That is all kinds of super awesome. The fit and finish are breathtaking. And I concur with Gail...you look darling.
    Where's that glass....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i'm very happy with the fit!

      Delete
  3. Wow! How did you get a knit blazer to look so crisp? It's gorgeous. I love the printed knit under the collar and the sharp white edge on the lapels. Just *fabulous*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. much thanks! for the crispness--strategically placed knit interfacing and a little bit of understitching did the trick. i can't resist a contrasting undercollar... :)

      Delete
  4. Seriously awesome. Well done! It's great that you've made something you're so proud of. Can't wait to see the coat you make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! And I'm wanting my own, but there's no way mine would come close to looking as awesome as yours! If I tried it would be a mess! Yours is PERFECT! And it's a knit! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i have to say, i was surprised how smoothly this went together. double knit is quite easy to work with!

      Delete
  6. I Love this!! such a great job! I didn't even guess it was knit until you said so! I love that you went to so much trouble to make it look tailored rather then a floppy knit jacket. SO BEAUTIFUL!
    I couldn't tell from the construction photos - did you line the jacket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yes, the jacket is fully lined with a bagged lining... all by machine! no hand stitching except for the buttons and the miters on the trim.

      Delete
    2. OMG! I wasn't expecting you to say that for some reason! ha! :)
      what did you line it with? I can never decide on the right lining when I'm making a jacket, they all seem like they will restriict my moements and disturb the drape (or whatever) of the fabric

      Delete
    3. i used knit lining from fabric.com. typically the jacket lining is actually larger than the jacket itself. for the back lining piece, pleats are stitched at the top, waist and hem giving excess fabric through the upper back where you would possibly have strain. also if you have a bagged lining it won't pull anywhere. if you see my previous post, i've shown the interior and what it all looks like before fully constructed. lining a jacket like this is definitely the way to go!

      Delete
  7. I've already commented on your burdastyle page... but I just have to say it again. I LOVE your blazer. The white trim... the floral under collar... the comfort of a knit... I'm SO totally making one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, seriously glowing from everyone's lovely comments! i would LOVE to see your version of this!!

      Delete
  8. THIS IS ADORABLE -- I didn't think I needed a knit blazer, but now I don't know how I've done without it. You got a terrific fit, and I looooove the white trim and floral under collar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, this will definitely be my go-to jacket for fall!

      Delete
  9. WOW!! What a great-fitting, polished, versatile wardrobe addition! I bet it's really comfy, too, being a knit. Definitely a piece to be proud of and wear again and again. Love the trim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful blazer! I also have a knit blazer on my list, since I've been seeing them around, and that exact one from Gap clinched it for me. I'll definitely be referring to your construction post when I make mine, and I will be getting this pattern too - can't believe I missed it when I was blazer pattern hunting. Thanks for the inspiration and great info! Oh yeah, what did you use for the trim? The Gap blazer used what looked like Petersham ribbon, but I don't know that I can find that in the right color... And is the knit lining slippery enough do get the sleeves on easily? I was going to use regular lining but the stretch would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i had searched and searched for a pattern and nearly missed this one also! the trim i used is just a narrow grosgrain ribbon, petersham would probably be an even better choice. i just stitched mine to the top aligning at the edge, whereas the gap blazer appears to have the ribbon encasing the edge (haven't seen it in person so that's just a guess). for the lining, it's not as slippery as i would have preferred but it isn't like t-shirt material or anything. i'm satisfied with it. i ordered it from fabric.com and you can find it under their lining section.

      btw, i just peeked over at your blog... lots of great stuff you've made!

      Delete
  11. This is seriously amazing! I LOVE it. The fit is perfect and it looks lovely on you. Thanks for the link to the RTW tailoring too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome!!!
    What did you use for the trim?
    designdreamer

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great reference point for this jacket. You've done a wonderful job too. I've found your blog via your review at pattern review and I've really enjoyed the posts I've visited. I love what you have been sewing.

    ReplyDelete

i appreciate all the feedback, but will no longer be responding to comments left here. i have moved all my content to wordpress (see link at the top of the page!) and will now be posting there. all my posts can be found in my wordpress archive. thanks for reading and please visit my new page!